Why shephanim?

Why shephanim? The NASB refers to the shaphan or shephanim in Leviticus 11:5, Deuteronomy 14:7, Psalm 104:18, and Proverbs 30:26, directly transliterating the Hebrew word שָּׁפָן. In these references the KJV and NIV use coney and the ESV uses rock badger. In all cases they are talking about the species Procavia capensis, now known as Rock Hyraxes. The Bible describes them as simple yet exceedingly wise, making their houses in the cliffs. They are still common throughout the Holy Land and most of Africa. Unable to dig tunnels with their soft feet, they have to live in abandoned burrows or clefts in the rock. Since they appear to chew the cud, they were unclean under the old covenant. Actually, they have long incisor teeth which they can use to defend themselves. They live for their entire lives (about 10 years) in small herds made up of multiple family units. They probably will still be around when Jesus returns.

I want to be like the shephanim.

The title image is of a Cape Hyrax, species Procavia capensis, taken at Hardap Dam, Namibia. The copyright holder, Hans Hillewaert, releases it under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 2.5 license.

13 comments:

  1. I don't mean to go Comic Book Guy on you, but the shephanim were excluded not due to chewing the cud, but because they didn't chew the cud AS WELL AS have a cloven hoof. In the same verse, rabbits and camels were disqualified due to chewing the cud but having no cloven hoof, whereas pigs were excluded because they had cloven hooves but didn't chew the cud. Deuteronomy 14:6-8

    I will also say thank you, as your site gave me more information about the critters, as I never knew what the heck they were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information, I was looking for a definition after reading Psalm 104.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too. I was reading Psalm 104 which I LOVE by the way, it paints such a beautiful picture! Wondered what the were. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on Psalm 104 and Psalm 103. I like it so much I'm definitely going to print it out and attach it to my bathroom mirror for awhile to keep re-reading it's beauty. Maybe I could even memorize it.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the helpful information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems to be a common thing, what are they? Thank you for your information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most interesting - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since GOD gave us dominion over the animals an earth I needed to understand what it was yet this gave me little understanding of them I search on an thank you for the information. GOD BLESS YOU AN THIS SITE....

    ReplyDelete
  9. https://gloriousgrace.com/2017/11/21/evening-november-20/. Evening, November 20, edited from Spurgeon’s Morning and Evening

    “The shephanim [Rock Badgers] are not mighty people, yet they make their houses in the rocks.” — Proverbs 30:26

    Conscious of their own natural defenselessness, the shephanim resort to burrows in the rocks, and are secure from their enemies. My heart, be willing to gather a lesson from these frail folks. You are as weak and as exposed to peril as the timid rock badgers; be as wise to seek a shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Site was very helpful, better then the other ones I went to. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just trying to figure out if there was some hidd n meaning in the verse from Proverbs 30:26? Thank you for the information on what they are and look like. God bless and Happy New Years to all.

    ReplyDelete